William F. Peterson and Edward H. Lytle owned 201 lots, which they platted and called "West Logan". They laid out their streets parallel to Eel River between two bridges, 3rd and 6th Street bridges - at least that is the way it appears on the map. Chauncy Carter platted the town of Logansport and laid out his streets parallel to the Wabash River. An addition to Logansport of those 201 lots known as West Logan, was made September 28, 1835. West Logan was, at first, a separate corporation. If it ever had a Mayor of its own, that information is lost to history.
West Logan was bounded on the north by Ottawa Street; on the south by Eel River; on the west by the Barron Reserve, which began a few rods east of the place where William Brown laid out his addition to Logansport, which he called "Brownstown", which we reach by crossing the Market Street bridge. Brownstown extended from the north bank of the Wabash river to the alley between West Broadway and Wheatland and from a line east of Brown Street to Heath (properly the family name was spelled (Heth) Street. William L. Brown's addition of 80 lots, on the Westside was made November 20, 1853. Harvey Heath's west side addition of 24 lots was made April 27, 1863. Mary Ann Heath's addition of 40 lots on the west side was made April 2, 1866.
Just north of Brownstown Judge D. D. Dykeman laid out a couple of additions, Dykeman's 4th addition, on the west side was made to Logansport April 22, 1874.
North of him, came Senator D. D. Pratt. Like many others, Pratt named a street after himself. Pratt Street, as it got closer to town, had a slight curve and near to that curve the street was called Miami. This was rather confusing to strangers to find a street with two names. Sometime around the turn of the century it occurred to the authorities that there was little sense in the confusion of names, so they changed Chippeway to Linden, Osage to Wheatland, Pratt to Miami, and called the lengthened thoroughfares "avenues" instead of streets. That's the way we know them today.
There was a little group of industries that centered on the canal at Linden Ave.
(then Chippewa St.) and Miami Street (now Miami Ave.). This included a tan yard owned by Green R. Shaw and Baade & Co., owned by Conrad Baade in 1876 was
an ashery, where potash was made.
There was an area on the west side known as "Cabbage Hill". It was the property where Franklin elementary school now sits.
Sources: Will Ball columns, parts 190, 242, 397 & 456 and History of Cass County by Dr. Jehu Z. Powell 1913