President: Jeff Stuart
Vice President: Rich Voorhees
Secretary: Claudia Benn
Treasurer: Kim Reid
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Jim Crain, Andrea Perrone, Paul Ulerick,
Jeff Stanton, Steve Muehlhausen, Leo Burns, Jeanie Jones, Barbara Stein, Mike Stajduhar
E MERITUS DIRECTOR
Richard B. Copeland
Robert W. Julian
The Cass County Historical Society was organized at a meeting of the Citizens Club in Library Hall, February 12, 1907. William S. Wright, who had spent several years in Boston, stated the objectives of the organization, comparing it to essential fixtures long established in New England. Several enthusiastic talks were made in support of the proposed historical society. Dr. Jehu Z. Powell was made chairman of the preliminary organization with Wright acting as secretary (at the time, he was the editor of the Logansport Journal).
A committee was appointed to outline an organization and to draft a constitution and by-laws, to be presented for consideration at the meeting to be held on February27, 1907. The committee members were Wright, William T. Wilson, and James H. McMillen.
In March of the same year, the first officers were elected. They were: President, Daniel P. Baldwin; Vice President, Dr. Jehu Z. Powell; Wils (Wilson) Berry and Mrs.John W. Ballard; Secretary, William S. Wright; Treasurer, Benjamin F. Sharts; Executive Committee: Quincy A. Myers, Benjamin F. Long, William T. Wilson, James H. McMillen, and James D. McNitt.
Meetings for the Cass County Historical Society were held for many years at the Public Library building. In 1925, the organization moved into the city building, where it housed a wonderful exhibit of historical documents, photographs, paintings, music, books, Indian relics, and other interesting objects. The first curator was Mrs. John Barnes.
During the 1950s the museum moved to the Col. Jordan Vigus home at 1100 E. Broadway, with Harriet Mehaffie as Curator.
The Jerolaman-Long home, our present location, was built for Dr. Jerolaman in 1853 by George Bevan and had various owners before becoming home to Judge Quincy Meyers. From Judge Meyers' estate, the home came to belong to Benjamin F. Long. In 1967 Benjamin H. Long donated the 1004 E. Market St. home in honor of his parents, the Benjamin F. Longs (B.F. Long was one of the original organizers of the Historical Society). Samuel Upton began as Curator in 1969.